I’ve seen these before and have wanted to make some, but just didn’t take the time to figure out the specifics until now. My friend, Rachel, over at birdy blue, gifted me these beautifully hand crafted burp cloths for my little one on-the-way. I have a ton of pre-fold diaper cloths that I plan on spiffing up in these last few weeks leading up to baby’s birth. Something like this is perfect for the nesting-mode mom, or for a special gift to give to your expectant friends. So, using Rachel’s finished product as my guide, here’s a little DIY.
What you’ll need:
– Pre-fold diaper (I used) OR Terry Cloth/Flannel Fabric (as I expect Rachel used) – cut into 12×16 inch rectangle
– Pretty patterned fabric of your choice – cut into 12×16 inch rectangle
– Pins, Ruler, Scissors, Sewing Machine, Iron
How to DIY:
1. Place your two fabric pieces face to face (wrong side on wrong side). Pin around circumference. Sew along edges, leaving enough space for your hand to fit through to turn inside-out.
2. Turn inside-out. Stick your hand inside to push along the seams, making a crisp edge before ironing.
3. Iron along the edges, including where your gap is, so it looks closed when flattened.
4. Sew along the circumference again (this time right side out), making sure that the gap gets sewed closed.
5. Now that it looks finished, add 2 seams down the longest portion of the cloth. If you are using a pre-fold, there are already lines you can follow. If you chose to cut from your own fabric, make them about 4 inches apart, dividing the cloth in thirds.
6. This is what your finished project should look like – with the edging and middle seams.
Hope this was helpful! I always love to hear your comments! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.